Be the Change
by M. Gatlianne
Originally published in OM Times Magazine on February 14, 2012
Realize that if you are the change you wish to see, that you are fighting against the current and that you will often fall.
You must get up and keep going. Change does not come easily, even to those who want it. You must be an advocate, an inspiration, a model. You must be willing to take the hurt, the pain and the knocks. You must sacrifice for the greater good. You must be willing to make your path, the path for everyone to follow. You must lose your ego and give your love. You must trust that you are right in your endeavor.
You will be tired; you will be hurt; you will feel much pain – but the joy of seeing loving change in one person’s eyes will override all the misery you may have felt.
The big picture will sometimes become blurred – you will falter, you will stumble along your path. You will wonder if your fight is worth the agony – it will be. Do good – strive to help others – strive to show others they can do good as well.
- Learn self-sacrifice. Put others before you. Make your life something to be proud of, something to stand for, something good and full of love.
- Recognize your faults – learn from them.
- Teach – listen to what you teach; we often teach what we most need to learn.
- Love – be love.
- Know you can always be better and you will always have more to learn.
- Never back down.
- Lead and hope, but do not expect, that others will follow.
- Never use force.
What would have happened if the greats had stopped … if they’d gotten tired and given up?
- Mother Teresa
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Where would we be if they had given up on us?
What will the world become if we give up on it?